STILL AWAKE STILL!
STILL AWAKE STILL! PREMIERED AT THE ARTS CENTRE MELBOURNE IN 2011, AND IN 2014 TOURED THE USA INCLUDING THE NEW VICTORY THEATRE IN NEW YORK, AND UNDERTOOK A 25-VENUE TOUR ACROSS AUSTRALIA.
STILL AWAKE STILL!
Devised by Jessica Wilson with the collaborating artists
Inspired by songs from the book I’m Still Awake, Still!
by Elizabeth Honey and Sue Johnson
Produced by JUMP LEADS
- DEVISOR / DIRECTOR: Jessica Wilson
- MUSICAL DIRECTOR / COMPOSER: Sue Johnson
- LYRICIST: Elizabeth Honey
- PERFORMER DEVISERS: Carolyn Connors, Dan Witton and Renato Vacirca
- DESIGNER: Jonathon Oxlade
- PREMIERE LIGHTING DESIGNER: Phil Lethlean
- TOURING LIGHTING DESIGNER: Sam Doyle
- COLLABORATING WRITER: Jim Lasko
- DRAMATURG: Julianne Obrien
- 2014 TOURS PRODUCED BY: Jessica Wilson
- EXECUTIVE PRODUCER: Rosalind Price
- 2011 AUSTRALIAN PREMIERE SEASON PRODUCED BY: Rosalind Price and Sharon Seyd
This project was commissioned by Sydney Opera House, and supported by Allen & Unwin, Arts Centre Melbourne, Betty Amsden OAM, City of Melbourne, and the State Library of Victoria. Its national and international tours were assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council for the Arts, its funding and advisory body through the Going Global and Playing Australia programs
The legendary Miss Ivory Tinklefinger, Queen of Sleep has the absurd task of singing the audience to sleep. On a magnificent grand piano, she proudly performs her lullabies. However, not only does she fail to put a single child to sleep, she also conjures two mischievous, and very musical boys from the heart of the piano. What’s happening? Who is in control here? And can she resist the temptation to join in?
Still Awake Still! is a funny, anarchic, musical theatre work with irresistible child-appeal and a level of sophistication that delights adults. It’s gloriously unpredictable, with the glamour of a big night out, and mayhem worthy of the Marx Brothers.
Part-concert, part-theatre, the entire show emerges like magic, from beneath the lid of an ingenious grand piano set. It features superb live acoustic music and comic acting set within a rich visual world.
Inspired by parents’ daily challenge of putting their little ones to bed, Still Awake Still! explores the tussle between order and chaos, rest and play, reason and intuition, in a drama that celebrates the process of creativity.